Saturday 6 February 2010

Western Super Mare Pier






After Reading this article on the delay of the construction and delivery of the observation tower for the new Western Super Mare Pier I decided to go and see the construction of the new Pier as I am very familiar with the old one which was destroyed in a fire in July 2008. Unfortunately I thought this new construction looked like a rather hideous huge block that dominated the beach line and dwarfed westerns promenade. The piers design was originally put in to a public vote around a year ago that aided a board’s finale decision, I actually took part in this vote in which I voted against this design in favour of Stride and Treglown’s sleek, light and contemporary design which is the bottom picture I have posted. Unfortunately the board picked this heavy castle like design which was created by Angus Meek Architects. The one thing I was really happy to see though when I visited Western was the re development of the sea fronts promenade and the sea defences. The old promenade was a tarmac strip that stretched the full length and was the most boring thing to walk along. But now there are some really nice high quality materials that are being lain out in place which has instantly boosted the feel of the area.

Please comment and tell me if you like the new pier or do you think the judges picked the wrong design like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment