Saturday 13 March 2010

Bristol Millennium Square




I have added this focus week 3 post a little later than the others as to be honest with you I am a little embarrassed of what I saw of Bristol’s Millennium Square and didn’t know what to say. The square was part of a 450 million project that was completed in 2000 the large water feature was designed by William Pye and is one of the main attractions of the square that was commissioned for At Bristol an interactive a learning hub close to the city docks which the square has access to. I do love this part of Bristol but it is starting to show its age slightly, the water feature is looking badly maintained and is a bit leaky in a few areas. It didn’t help that I went to this square on a grey winter’s day I must admit as during the summer I have seen people playing and paddling in the water. The square is also used regularly in the summer for large public events. One of the parts of the square I really like but think could be better is the sign in the second and third image that points to planets locations and tells you the distances to them but despite really liking this ideal I think it could have been developed better as it just feels like an after thought plonked in the middle of a path so people see it. The one thing in the square that is still looking as striking as from the day it was constructed is the giant mirrored ball and I always see people interacting with it when I walk past. I am slightly unaware of what it is for though but I believe it is part of an observatory? So I thought I better add this post as I don’t want people to forget and dismiss it just yet like I almost did.



No comments:

Post a Comment