Saturday 6 March 2010

My Muse

In this post I felt it was important to show what influences me other than landscape projects-be it films, games, artists etc. A lot of the time I get most of my inspiration from areas outside of landscape architecture and I believe it is important to get inspirations from everywhere and everything.

Angels and Airwaves

Muse
I need to listen to music whilst working and at the moment the two bands that really help me push through my work is Angels and Airwaves and Muse. Both these bands have a sound that reminds me for some reason of my new interests of space and lights and when I listen to these bands I can imagine my ideas so much easier.

The Hobbit JRR Tolkien The Hobbit was one of the first books I ever read and it just captivated me instantly, JRR Tolkien’s story was one of the major things that help open my imagination and without this book my mind wouldn’t be filled with half the things it is now, and that is why I have included it my inspirational post.

Dead Space

Games have been part of me for such a long time and am not ashamed to admit there’s almost nothing more relaxing than getting stuck into a great game, and I do find it annoying how people almost frown upon games and make out they only read books but games for me are the best way to quickly step into another world. Dead Space is a relatively new game which I bought with not much preconceptions but immediately I was blown away by the games stunning space visualisations, with its intensively atmospheric settings and it addictive playability and intriguing story. Dead Space really kick started my new love of space and in a way the use of lighting in landscape projects which I feel are incredibly important. There are so many games I get inspiration from but this is the game that I bought just as I was bored one day but I feel has really helped me move into a direction of design I find so much more interesting.
Range Murat
Range Murata is an artist that I first new of when I bought the illustration book Robot Vol 6. Range Murata is the main artist that has brought this series of books together, the books involve different anime artists that create either a short comic/story from a few pages in the book which when finished is such a bright and vibrant form of images that is just so exciting to look through. Range Murata is also well known for his work for Playstation games and Last Exile and Blue Submarine No.6 animations.
Jasper Goodall I first fell in love with Jasper Goodall’s work when I wanted to be an illustrator, what I immediately noticed about his work is the amazing colours and contrast between them and between the sharpe crisp lines and shapes and then from the soft edged blends he creates in his images. His images for me use the perfect amount of detail and information in a picture highlighting the important elements with only a few or some times one bright bold colour amongst a simple background. This use of colour creates a lot of life in the image and Makes Jasper Goodall my favorite artist. Check out his other work at http://www.jaspergoodall.com/
HR GigerHR Giger is an artist I find so fascinating and I really got interested in his work when I was very young as the images were so strange and really quite scary, but this really made me want to know read and understand his work more. I also really liked his style of illustrations and images. I guess the reason why Gigers work has influenced me is because he was the first artist that created work which I saw that made me not only want to understand the image but also what the artist was thinking or going through to create such a dark creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment